Happy May 1st!!
One of my favorite ways is to cook for Spring is batch cook. Cook once and eat twice. We are all getting so busy with sporting events, yard work, gardening and just wanting to be outdoors.
Grains, beans, nuts and seeds are a perfect whole food for the family. You should be sure to soak them first.
You should soak them especially if you have experienced belly bloat, weight gain, or bowel issues, or even feel tired after eating. By focusing on gut health you will want to do the following:
Soaking all grains, beans, seeds and nuts.
This method removes phytic acid from grains, beans, seeds, and nuts. Phytic Acid is a compound that comes from the phosphorus found in plants. It leaches minerals from your body and can cause digestive and thyroid issues.
1. Add the grains, beans, seeds or nuts to a bowl of warm water or room temperature water.
2. Add 1 to 2 Tablespoons of lemon juice or Bragg's raw apple cider vinegar.
3. Soak for 24 hours.
4. Leave the bowl sitting on your counter top.
5. Empty them into a colander and rinse at least six times to remove any remaining phytic acid.
6. Cook the grains or beans as usual, or store the seeds or nuts in your fridge for 1 to 2 days.